Asperger Mouse

The daily adventure of parenting a child with Asperger Disorder.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Motherhood Makes You Smarter

Mothers are made, not born. I read a really interesting article in Scientific American. Studies of rodents have shown that the hormones of pregnancy changes the brain, not only in regions that control maternal behavior but also in regions that control memory and learning. Here's a link to the article:

Scientific American: The Maternal Brain [ NEUROBIOLOGY ]
Pregnancy and motherhood change the structure of the female mammal's brain, making mothers attentive to their young and better at caring for them.

I'm not sure if it's made me smarter, but I've definitely gained what my mother calls "common sense." My mother used to tell me I'd be a terrible mother because although I have "book smarts," I wasn't a terribly practical or pragmatic person. I have found that motherhood and it's responsibilities have forced this on me. I just hope that it hasn't dulled my intellectual abilities.

Would anyone care to comment?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home