Asperger Mouse

The daily adventure of parenting a child with Asperger Disorder.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Vines



The Vines on MySpace

I have Google do a daily search of the web and news for anything with Asperger. Last week, I came across this article, The Vines Get Vision. The lead singer of The Vines, Craig Nichols, was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome in 2004, and the group delayed working on a new album until he learned to cope with it. For a while it seems, there was some doubt about the group's future. I wasn't familiar with them, but I had heard one of their songs, Ride, in a car commercial. I instantly liked that song, because I love power chord rock. I showed the video to my baby mouse, and told him about Craig Nichols, because baby mouse is interested in art and music, and I want to encourage him to explore them.

ETA: Photo

2 Comments:

  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Adam Parmenter said…

    It's weird to hear some one get to take time off to learn how to cope with AS.

    I spent so much of my life being told I was weird and different, that I wasn't working hard enough, that I was too smart to be failing . . .

    By God's grace I eventually came to live a fairly "normal" life. Then both my children were diagnosed with AS. The clinician gave me an "informal" diagnosis. I have learned to cope "on the run" as I continue to live the life of a father, husband, and community member. At the same time I have begun to celebrate it. AS is not a complete tragedy, it is simply who I am. It presents definite challenges, but it also gives me a view into the world that the neurotypicals will never be able to see.

    Adam Parmenter http://aspiesinc.blogspot.com/
    http://www.sojournband.com

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Mommy Mouse said…

    Thanks for your kind comment.

    When my baby mouse asked what Asperger Syndrome was, I told him that his brain worked differently from other people's brains, and that was not necessarily a bad thing. I also told him that he will succeed, not in spite of the Asperger Syndrome, but because of it, because he thinks about things from a different perspective.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home